Most electric bikes come about 90% assembled, however, before you can ride your new bike, there will be some basic assembly required. Most electric bikes arrive packed in a box. They are partially disassembled to allow for more economical shipping. Each e-bike is different, but in general, you will need to assemble the following components:
- Front wheel
- Reflectors, lights, mud flaps, rear rack, or any other accessories that came with your bike.
You will also need to do the following preparations before riding your electric bike:
- Pump up the tires
- Charge the battery
- Check the derailleur and adjust if necessary
- Check the wheel spokes and true the wheels if necessary
- Check the brake pads for proper alignment and adjust if necessary
- Check the brake levers and brake cable for proper tightness and adjust if necessary.
- Check the height and alignment of the seat and handlebars for comfort and adjust if necessary.
It is important to remember that electric bikes travel at significant speeds, and without proper care taken during assembly, tuning and riding, you are putting your life at risk. We recommend that if this is your first electric bicycle, or if you do not feel comfortable performing these pre-ride tasks, then you must take your new electric bike to a certified bicycle mechanic at your local bike shop to perform the necessary pre-ride safety checks.
The following series of videos shows the general assembly of a typical electric bike. In this case, it is an X-Treme Newport Cruiser, but the steps generally apply to most electric bikes.
How to Assemble an X-treme E-Bike Electric Bicycle Guide - Unboxing - PART 1
How to Assemble an X-treme E-Bike Electric Bicycle Guide - Front Wheel and Brakes - PART 2
How to Assemble an X-treme E-Bike Electric Bicycle Guide - Handlebars & Pedals - PART 3
How to Assemble an X-treme E-Bike Electric Bicycle Guide - Rear Cargo Rack - PART 4